Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day 12 - Painfull massage

Had a weekend full of booze and lacking proper sleep. Felt exhausted when the alarm rang at 10 o'clock. Went to my first Rolfing appointment today. Rolfing is a way of massage to change the shape of the body in order to achieve a better posture that relieves chronic pain and makes movement of the limbs easier. I did have some massages like Rolfing in the past and noticed all the pains and aches I have in my body when the therapist touched me. I want these pains to go away and also because of my back problems (2 herniated disks, see Day 1 - Starting point), I thought I'd give Rolfing a try. I hope to achieve a more supple and relaxed body. Furthermore I hope the sessions will make surgery of the hernias needless. It's worth a try. Check out the before and after pics of other people. The after pic is taken after just 10 sessions.

And the best part: the posture improves more over time, when treatment is over. The first pic of this boy is before treatment, the second after 10 sessions, and the last one is taken one year after treatment. Impressive huh?


Or check out these google image results.

I must say it was a very painfull first session. Lots of aching pressure points. There were times I was almost fainting or willing to shout. The therapist said there is a lot of work to be done. I asked him at the end of the session why he looked so worried. He told me it made him feel sad to see someone of my age (25) with 2 herniated disks and so much pain and stiffness in his entire body. I left directly after he told me this, cause I didn't want to break out in tears.

I feel bruised in most parts of my body now and have more problems walking then I would have on a ordinary day. Thursday I'll go on holiday for a few days, so let's get to bed and hope these pains will subside in 2 days.

No comments: